I last posted news on this website around 16/17 months ago. That’s a long time, but that time as sped past quickly.
A lot has happened since then, including a new job, a new home, and – of course – new writing. I suppose this is why I’ve been so quiet here, but I’ll be trying my best to get back to keeping this place updated with fresh news!
I’m not going to bore you every detail, but here are few highlights…
- Flash Fiction Festival – there have been not one, but TWO flash fiction festivals since I last updated (WHATTTT) and they were absolutely brilliant! We had flash fiction writers from all over the world delivering workshops and reading stories. I find the three day weekend, usually in June, hugely inspirational. If you’re a flash fiction fan, I cannot recommend it enough, so check out their website for more information. I was honoured to have been asked to run a workshop at each festival, and I love teaching flash fiction so much.
- National Flash Fiction Day – I have officially taken over the reigns from National Flash Fiction Day’s founder Calum Kerr, but there’s no way I could do it alone. With my fellow mighty Co-Directors Diane Simmons and Ingrid Jendrzejewski, we published a brilliant anthology of flashes on the theme of doors co-edited by Joanna Campbell, as well as hosted a full day of workshops and readings in Coventry, a new city for us! Unfortunately, I was unwell and couldn’t attend the event, but I heard it was a roaring success. More news on National Flash Fiction Day 2020 soon, but keep an eye on the website for the latest news, including submissions to next year’s anthology and micro fiction competition and events on the big day itself.
- Best Small Fictions 2019 – even though I have signed a contract and the book is being published in two months, I still can’t quite believe that one of my stories has been selected to appear in the Best Small Fictions 2019 anthology. The story that was chosen is called Upon Discovering that Cows Can Swim and it was originally published in The Jellyfish Review. Though the anthology will be published in November, if you can’t wait until then, you can read the story here.
- Curving the Pointy Edges – I found out yesterday that my flash fiction Curving the Pointy Edges will be published by an absolute dream journal of mine: SmokeLong Quarterly. I can’t believe I just typed that! I love this journal so much and it’s such an honour to finally be a part of it in this way. I’d really like to thank SmokeLong’s editor, Christopher Allen, and the rest of his team, whose feedback really helped this story blossom. I can’t wait to share this one with you all!
- Writing – I’ve had other pieces published in various places since I last posted an update, including in FlashBack Fiction, Spelk, MoonPark Review, 100 Word Story, Ellipsis Zine, Flash Boulevard, and Ghost Parachute. I’d like to thank all of these editors and all the other editors who have accepted my work for their support. If you’d like to read any of them, as well as find out about more forthcoming work, check out the publications page. I’ve spent a lot of time reading and writing new material, some of which I hope to be able to share soon. I’m also entertaining working on something longer, but shhhhh!
- Something Secret I’m Very Excited About But Cannot Tell You About Yet…
- ANOTHER Secret Thing I’m Very Excited About But Cannot Tell You About Yet…
Thanks for reading! That’s all for now…more soon!